Code of Conduct
1. When does school start?
School starts for Campus and eCampus learning at 9:15 am.
2. What time does eCampus need to log on?
Students need to be logged onto the Schoology platform at 9:15 am to be marked present. Students logging in after the start of class risk being marked tardy or absent.
3. What is my child’s credentials for eCampus or online learning?
Complete the form under the Student’s drop-down labeled Credentials Request to find out. Please give the school 30 minutes to respond.
4. What should I do if I have technology issues?
Complete a technology ticket located under the Student’s tab on the Sleepy Hill Middle School website: http://shms.polk-fl.net .
Troubleshooting: If your device is not turning on, plug the charging cord into the device and leave plugged while in use. However, if you continue to have issues, do not hesitate to reach out to the school.
5. When will my child get a school schedule?
Students schedules will be available online on 2 PCPS platforms: 1. Student Portal 2. Schoology
6. When can I order shirts?
Shirts may be ordered online at Sleepy Hill Middle School’s website: http://shms.polk-fl.net. Click the blue button to access the form. Shirts also may be purchased during the school day, once students arrive on campus.
7. What is the school uniform for campus learning?
Campus learners must be in kahki colored pants in their respective school shirts: 6th grade-burgundy, 7th grade-hunter green, and 8th grade- navy blue. Due to COVID-19, all students are required to wear a mask to prevent the spread of the virus.
8. What should eCampus student’s wear when signed online?
eCampus students are asked to wear appropriate attire while on camera or video projection. Please, reframe from wearing revealing or loosely made clothing, political or explicit clothing, and any attire that would be inappropriate for campus learning. Thank You
9. When will students learn what bus they ride?
Students may complete the online form located on the HomePage of the Sleepy Hill Middle School website: http://shms.polk-fl.net. Bus information may also be obtained via Parent Portal.
10. When can I pick up eCampus meals for breakfast and lunch?
Parent’s may pick up meal packages every Wednesday at the school. Please have your child’s school identification number available.
School Supply List
School Dress Code
- 6th grade Maroon School Shirt
- 7th grade Hunter Green School Shirt
- 8th grade Navy Blue School Shirt
- SHPA students will wear aerospace shirts
- STEAM students will wear STEAM shirts
- Under shirts worn must be white
- Khaki Pants
- Pants with belt loops must have belt.
- Girls: Shorts or skirts must be mid-thigh. Pants cannot be torn, frayed, or not hemmed and no cut-off shorts will be allowed.
- Boys: Khaki Pants must be worn at the appropriate height on the students’ hips. All pants that have belt loops must be worn with a belt. Belts must have the ability to buckle and hold pants at the waistline. No pants can be torn, frayed, or cutoff and belt buckles should be absent of anything which promotes use of tobacco, drugs, alcohol, violence, political or religious ideology.
- Jewelry is not permitted at Sleepy Hill Middle, except for a wrist watch and earrings (no larger than a quarter).
- Jackets may be worn on campus when the weather is cool, that includes hoodies; however, hoods should not be worn to cover the head or face. Please refer the district Winter Wear Policy.
Sleepy Hill Middle School will follow the Polk County School Board Code of Conduct as stated in Section 6.03 A, B, C, and D.
The following stores will have appropriate clothing available to meet dress code rules:
- Bealls Outlet
- J.C. Penney’s
- Old Navy
Any student requesting an excused absence due to family situations must submit a letter to the school principal requesting the days and reasons for absence. The principal will then make a decision to excuse the absence or flag it as unexcused.
Students returning from an absence MUST bring in a note signed by the parent or guardian. The note needs to include the dates of the absence and the reason why the absence occurred. This note MUST be in the office within five (5) days of the absence for the absence to be excused. Students are responsible for requesting and making up missed work. Appropriate reasons for excused absences are: personal illness, death in the family, or doctor’s appointments. Students missing more than three (3) consecutive days are required to have a note from a doctor.
Discipline Matrix Coming Soon.
Florida law requires all 7th grade students to show proof of the following immunizations before they may attend 7th grade classes: a second MMR, a tetanus-diphtheria booster, and the hepatitis B series (3 doses). Proof of the above listed immunizations must be provided to the school on a blue immunization card, provided by a physician or the health department.
Polk County Public Schools Badge Policy
Badge Policy at Sleepy Hill Middle: Polk County School Board has a new policy this year in secondary schools to ensure the safety of all students on campuses. All students, grades 6-12 will be required to wear Student ID badges. SHMS will provide a picture ID and lanyard for each student at our school. All students will be required to wear the ID badge every day. No student will be allowed to go to class unless they are wearing their ID badge and lanyard. If a student does not come to school with their ID badge, they can call home for the parent to bring the badge to school. However, if the parent cannot bring the badge or if the student lost the badge the school will print a new badge at a cost of $5.00. If you do not pay the fee of $5.00 for a replacement ID badge the fee will be added to your high school obligation. All high school obligations must be paid before the student graduates. In addition, they will also not be eligible to attend night time events until the fee is paid. ALL STUDENTS MUST WEAR THEIR ID BADGES EVERY PERIOD EVERY DAY without exception. If a student comes to school without their ID badge and lanyard they will be allowed to call home to have someone come to bring the ID and lanyard to the student. If no one can be reached, then the student will be printed a new ID badge at the $5.00 fee and then be allowed to go to class. ALL STUDENTS MUST WEAR THEIR ID BADGE EVERY PERIOD EVERY DAY. No student will be allowed to wait longer than 20 minutes for someone to arrive with their badge. Students will be held in the media center to wait for their badge or have a new badge made.
Image may differ from actual Student ID Card
PCPS Advisory: Please be advised that trench coats are prohibited district-wide this year. Hooded sweatshirts are acceptable, but hoods may not be worn during school hours. Student identification badges will be provided to students in grades 6 – 12 to ensure the safety and security of students and staff. Students must wear these ID badges at all times around the neck when on school grounds.
Do NOT use a mask meant for a healthcare worker.
- Wash your hands before putting on your mask.
- Put it over your nose and mouth and secure it under your chin.
- Try to fit it snugly against the sides of your face.
- Make sure you can breathe easily.
- Bandannas are not appropriate mask.
- Only wear solid colors/patterns; no written mask.