Code of Conduct
School Dress Code
- 6th grade Maroon School Shirt
- 7th grade Hunter Green School Shirt
- 8th grade Navy Blue School Shirt
- SHPA students will wear aerospace shirts
- STEAM students will wear STEAM shirts
- Under shirts worn must be white
- Khaki Pants
- Pants with belt loops must have belt.
- Girls: Shorts or skirts must be mid-thigh. Pants cannot be torn, frayed, or not hemmed and no cut-off shorts will be allowed.
- Boys: Khaki Pants must be worn at the appropriate height on the students’ hips. All pants that have belt loops must be worn with a belt. Belts must have the ability to buckle and hold pants at the waistline. No pants can be torn, frayed, or cutoff and belt buckles should be absent of anything which promotes use of tobacco, drugs, alcohol, violence, political or religious ideology.
- Jewelry is not permitted at Sleepy Hill Middle, except for a wrist watch and earrings (no larger than a quarter).
- Jackets may be worn on campus when the weather is cool, that includes hoodies; however, hoods should not be worn to cover the head or face. Please refer the district Winter Wear Policy.
Sleepy Hill Middle School will follow the Polk County School Board Code of Conduct as stated in Section 6.03 A, B, C, and D.
The following stores will have appropriate clothing available to meet dress code rules:
- Bealls Outlet
- J.C. Penney’s
- Old Navy
Any student requesting an excused absence due to family situations must submit a letter to the school principal requesting the days and reasons for absence. The principal will then make a decision to excuse the absence or flag it as unexcused.
Students returning from an absence MUST bring in a note signed by the parent or guardian. The note needs to include the dates of the absence and the reason why the absence occurred. This note MUST be in the office within five (5) days of the absence for the absence to be excused. Students are responsible for requesting and making up missed work. Appropriate reasons for excused absences are: personal illness, death in the family, or doctor’s appointments. Students missing more than three (3) consecutive days are required to have a note from a doctor.
Agenda and Behavioral Tracking Forms
It is Sleepy Hill Middle’s policy that every student has their agenda daily. This is the students’ passport around the school campus, and if caught without their agenda when out of class, student is liable to attain a consequence. Additionally, stapled inside the student’s agenda is their Behavioral Tracking Form (BTF). The BTF allows the student to earn points for positive behaviors; however, students demonstrating negative behaviors are likely to earn a demerit. Parents are encouraged to review their students agendas daily, which can be a great communication tool between the school and the home.
Florida law requires all 7th grade students to show proof of the following immunizations before they may attend 7th grade classes: a second MMR, a tetanus-diphtheria booster, and the hepatitis B series (3 doses). Proof of the above listed immunizations must be provided to the school on a blue immunization card, provided by a physician or the health department.